Quick and Easy Recipe
Sweet potato and chickpea risotto
• 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
• 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled sweet potato (about 1 large)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) short-grain (Arborio) rice
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
• 3 cups (750 mL) 1% milk (approx.)
• 1 cup (250 mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté sweet potatoes, garlic, onion, red pepper, basil and pepper for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in rice; sauté for 1 minute.
2. Pour in broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Whisk flour into 3 cups (750 mL) milk and gradually stir into pot; bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring twice, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
3. Stir in chickpeas; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring in more milk, if desired, to moisten rice. Stir in half of the Canadian Parmesan cheese. Spoon into bowls and serve sprinkled with remaining cheese.
Family owned and operated, Kitchen Land provides experts to service all of your custom kitchen installation needs, and includes some of the GTA’s best plumbers, electricians and hardwood flooring installation professionals. Located at 1075 Queensway East, #14 Mississauga, Ontario L4Y 4C8, we can be contacted at 905-848-8509 or 1-877-678-8509 for state-of-the-art custom kitchen installation and renovation.